Friday, January 13, 2012

Hedwig at Hogwarts


As I mentioned in my last post...I painted a fun new piece for a special man in my life.

My little guy (age 9) is a budding naturalist...rocks, insects, birds, mammals, fish, you name it and he's interested in it. I promised to paint him a special painting last year and he chose a snowy owl for the subject. A few months ago, we also started reading the Harry Potter series. My goodness, what a hit that was.

So, I decided to make his snowy owl into Hedwig herself and put Hogwarts in the background. What fun! I based the castle on Neuschwanstein in Germany. I went there when I was 12 years old and I can't even begin to tell you what an impression that magical place had on me. A wonder for any creative soul!

The painting was a big hit and now hangs proudly in his bedroom. Hedwig keeping her benevolent watch over my sleeping charge.


Kristina Wentzell, Hedwig at Hogwarts, oil on canvas, 24 x 36 inches. ©2011

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was browsing for images of a white Owl, and no other than Harry Potters faithful Hedwig is one to look for. This is truly beautiful and captivating! The deep hues of night time blue are a dramatic contrast with the snowy owl among the wintry forest. And who can resist looking into those golden eyes. Wise and watchful companion.